Monday, June 22, 2009

Strawberry Picking!

Andy and I had an early morning adventure today. We went out strawberry picking at Oakridge Farms right here in Neenah. We got there around 7:45 and rode out on the wagon behind the tractor with our empty crate - it was quite a bumpy ride. Then Andy and I got assigned our row of strawberries. Andy helped me find some red berries - telling me not to pick the green ones. He was comic relief for a lot of the people around us, because he was pretty excited to be there - thus very talkative.

We picked about 5 pounds in a half an hour, and then rode the tractor back. We got Andy to school around 8:45 - a nice quick trip! I've already made some strawberry jam that Andy is very excited to try. It was something that I thought Jack wasn't quite ready for - but next summer I think both of them will have fun with it.

Andy standing next to our row of berries, getting ready to start looking.

He's pointing to a water sprinkler (not turned on) and explaining that when water comes out of it, it turns the berries red and helps them grow.
Big smiles on the way back
Andy was in charge of "guarding" our berries so they didn't fall off the wagon.
We got out there when it was still about 70 degrees, so it was very pleasant. I'm glad, because it got really hot today!

No comments: